Caring for your Goose Down Bedding - The Ultimate Guide
Protecting your comforter and pillow
First and foremost, the best thing you can do to care for your goose down comforter and pillow is to get a quality cover to protect it. A duvet cover is a must when it comes to protecting your comforter, as it will help keep it clean and protected from dirt, dust, and body oils. Likewise, a quality pillowcase can help keep your pillow protected from the same dirt, dust, and body oils that can soil it. If your bedding is well protected with a quality cover, washing is only necessary every few years.
Shake and air it out
If your bedding needs to be freshened up, you can take off the duvet cover or pillowcase and shake it out weekly, or hang it on a line for a while to air out.
Washing your bedding
First and foremost, always check the care label for specific washing instructions. Hamvay-Láng comforters can be hand-washed only. It is gentle and effective method, reducing the risk of damage associated with machine washing.
In case of minor spills:
- Spot treat them with a gentle detergent or cleanser mixed with a small amount of water.
- Avoid bleach and harsh detergents, as they can harm the delicate down filling.
- Apply the detergent directly to the stain and use a soft cloth or sponge to gently rub it.
When washing the entire comforter or pillow:
- Prepare a cleaning solution by filling a large basin with lukewarm water and mild detergent. Immerse the comforter or pillow, ensuring even detergent distribution, and soak it for 15-20 minutes.
- Gently agitate the bedding without vigorous rubbing or twisting
- Rinse it thoroughly several times with clean, lukewarm water.
- Remove excess water carefully without wringing to protect the down clusters.
- Lay the bedding on a clean, dry surface to air dry. Periodically fluff and shake the bedding to prevent clumping and ensure even drying. Make sure the bedding dries completely to remove any lingering odors from the detergent or drying process.
If you're uncertain about washing your down bedding at home, consider consulting a professional dry cleaner experienced in handling down-filled bedding.
Storing your bedding
If you need to store your goose down bedding at any time, make sure it's in a well-ventilated area and that it's put in storage while completely dry to avoid mildew. Be sure your pillow or comforter is not compressed, which will damage the down’s loftiness and integrity.
Our zipped storage bag is fantastic for keeping out-of-season comforters, duvets, pillows, and blankets fresh, aired, and dust-free
With the appropriate care outlined above, you can enjoy your investment in high-quality goose down bedding for years to come.